Dentists have been treating patients during the COVID-19 viral pandemic in North America for about eight months. As a profession, we take great pride in our skillful infection control, and it has been effective so far. Some of our patients may have already been infected with COVID-19 when they came to our dental offices, although we may not have known it at the time. Despite that, no known cases of transmission of COVID-19 infection have been reported from patient to the dental team or vice versa at any routine dental visit. No clusters of any airborne diseases like COVID-19 have spread in dental offices in the world to date.
SARS-Cov-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is found mainly in the lungs and nasopharynx. The mouth is at the intersection of these two regions. This has raised concerns that aerosol-generating dental procedures might transmit the virus. Some dental procedures generate aerosols, but air and water from our syringes and handpieces dilute any virus in these aerosols.
We also use high-volume suction to reduce aerosols even more.
The Right Smile Centers have implemented additional safeguards in response to these concerns:
• We pre-screen patients, staff, students, and faculty for COVID-19 symptoms before we permit them to come into our facilities.
• We do not allow any unnecessary visitors.
• Fewer patients are appointed each day, so we can maintain 6-foot distancing between people in our clinics and waiting rooms.
• We installed high plexiglass partitions at the patient payment centers.
• Our dental team wears enhanced PPE including face shields, high-filtration face masks, hair covers, and disposable gowns when necessary.
• Our COVID team meets to discuss the latest scientific developments and any possible changes in our protocols.
At the Right Smile Center, with our current enhanced measures, no known cases of transmission of COVID-19 between patients and our dental care providers have occurred, despite hundreds of patient encounters during aerosol and non-aerosol generating procedures.
Call for your important oral healthcare needs.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
ZoAnna Bock, MS, DMD
Hanna Orland, DMD
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Sandy Springs, GA 30328
3781 Chamblee Dunwoody Road
Chamblee, GA 30341