If you have ever had one, you know a toothache can be very painful. And in some instances a toothache can be considered a dental emergency. But there may be some symptoms of a toothache that cause you to wonder whether or you should see a physician or a dentist. Events like a knocked out tooth or other injury of the mouth can often be resolved quickly if you see an emergency dentist.
What exactly is an emergency dentist? Whether you know it or not, it most likely is your very own family dentist. Many dentists offer emergency hours and on call services for dental emergencies. If not, you may be able to find a clinic that specializes in emergency dentistry. These facilities are open 24 hours a day just for emergencies. Either way, you can be assured that you can find help when you need it.
Most likely, if you visit a physician for your dental emergency, he will give you medication to help you over until you can see a dentist. Obviously, a dentist can prescribe pain medication just like a physician. So it may be faster and timelier as it relates to your issues if you see a dentist in the first place. If you are in pain, you probably don’t want to waste the extra time it would take to see a physician first. Obviously, if you have an injury that is causing your dental emergency, make sure it is not life threatening before you choose between a physician and a dentist.
If you have a toothache, abscess, root canal problems, broken or chipped tooth, knocked out tooth, swollen gums, broken dentures, decayed tooth roots, loose crowns, lost fillings, wisdom teeth problems or pain in the mouth or gums, feel free to contact an emergency dentist. We are more than happy to assist you in evaluating these types of situations.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
5471 Bells Ferry Road, Suite 200
Acworth, GA 30102
- Dentist Sandy Springs – Myth #1: Root Canal Therapy Is Painful, Wrong! (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Don’t Take Chances with Chipped Teeth (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Buckhead Atl: What  Questions Do Patients Ask About Dental Implants? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: The Right Smile (by a prosthodontist) (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Woodstock: How much do dental fillings cost? and Why? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)