Recent articles and thus contemporary thinking, have inferred that the rise in dental related ER visits in the past few years is a result of financial barriers and/or access to care. We have found this to be absolutely untrue. As a point of reference, the cost of dentistry has been virtually flat for the last 3 decades. Oddly enough, the more advanced we have become and the effective our treatment has become, patients are choosing not to show up.
What’s important to note is that almost all dental disease is avoidable. Better put, with proper maintenance, as in brushing and avoiding decay causing food and drink, dental disease in preventable and inexpensive to accomplish. For approximately 2 to 3 dollars per month tooth decay and gum disease can be virtually stopped. This is particularly valuable, given the amount of money spent monthly on cable TV, cell phones and tattoos.
Rather dental decay and gum disease is a lifestyle disease, a direct result of neglect, no different than choosing to smoke. Everyone knows there is no demonstrative health value in smoking. To the contrary, it causes disease. Yet, millions of people still engage in smoking. The long and short of it is, the most significant barrier to poor oral health is the lack of value placed on oral health and its personal responsibility. The opportunity and choice to engage in good oral healthcare is at the patient’s fingertips.
If we can be of assistance or offer you help with your oral care, even if it’s a referral to one of our blog sites that references deeply discounted dental treatment or charitable dentistry, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Atlanta (Sandy Springs), GA 30328
- Sandy Springs Dentist: Quality Dental Care (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Sandy Springs: Afraid of the Dentist? Women Are. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Sandy Springs Dentists: Quality and Experience Count (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Dental Implants Improve Your Lifestyle (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Implants Can Change your life! (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- To Pull or Not to Pull, that is the question? Sandy Springs Dentist (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- BPA-Protect your kid’s teeth! Dentist Sandy Springs (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Sandy Springs Dentist: Go with a Pro – Prosthodontist, not Football player. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- New Smile, why not? Sandy Springs Dentists (therightsmile.wordpress.com)