While both men and women require an appropriate amount of calcium to build bone mass during their early developmental years, women have a greater risk of developing osteoporosis, a progressive loss of bone mass due to aging. This makes women more susceptible to fractures and possibly loss of teeth from weakening of the jawbone.
For women in the age range of 19-24 years, the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of calcium is 1,300 milligrams. This decreases to 1000 milligrams thereafter. Foods rich in calcium include milk, cheese and ice cream, but these also are high in calories and fat. So, shop wisely and check the labels. Alternatives such as skim or no fat milk can solve the problem. There are a reasonable variety of cheeses and yogurts that are low fat as well as ice cream substitutes. Besides dairy, other healthy foods rich in calcium are salmon, tofu (soybean curd), broccoli, peas, beans, nuts and calcium-enriched grain products.
All the researchers agree that, given the widespread use of supplemental calcium, better studies are needed to clarify possible risks and benefits, and to whom they may apply. If we can be of assistance or answer any questions surrounding your oral health, do not hesitate to contact us or call for a complimentary consultation. We serve Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Roswell, Dunwoody, East Cobb, greater Marietta, Woodstock, Acworth, Buckhead and Vinings communities.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC.
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Atlanta (Sandy Springs), GA 30328
- Dentist: Dunwoody: Symptoms and Signs of Oral Cancer (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Skipping Your Cleanings Costs Money and Health (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Teeth Cleanings, more than meets the eye. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Why do we survey patients? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Alpharetta: The Right Bite for a Great Smile (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: A Smile – A Powerful Tool (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- New Smile, why not? Sandy Springs Dentists (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Mussels Anyone? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Babes in Oy Land!! (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Red or White Wine? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Alpharetta: Dental Plaque Means Higher Cancer? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dental Anxiety? Dentist Sandy Springs (therightsmile.wordpress.com)