Many people are unaware of the consequences of losing their teeth on their jaw bones. When teeth are lost, the surrounding and underlying bone immediately begins to atrophy. Implant replacement is the optimal treatment recommended for many positive benefits.
Here are some important facts to take into consideration:
- Wearing dentures accelerates bone loss. It is possible to watch and wait for bone to disappear to the point where treatment success of any kind becomes doubtful. Implant-supported dentures have 95% success rates over 10 years without the severe loss of supporting bone.
- At the end of a five-year period, only 40% of patients are still wearing the original partial denture made for them. This is not a great testimonial for value and utility.
- Of those patients who wear a partial denture, 50% chew better without it.
- One study showed that after 8 years, 40% of the supporting abutments the partial hooks onto were lost through tooth decay or fracture.
- Patients with natural teeth can bite with about 200 pounds of force. Denture wearers can bite with approximately 50 pounds of force. Those wearing dentures for 15 years or more can bite with only about 6 pounds of force, which results in their diet being modified.
- Denture wearers have decreased nutritional intake, a ten year shorter life span, and 30% of denture wearers can only eat soft foods.
- The single tooth implant success rate is above 98%, and unlike a bridge, the teeth adjacent to the implant are no more at risk than if was never lost.
For bone maintenance, the health of adjacent teeth, the longevity of the restoration and patient comfort, implants are the treatment of choice. Implants can restore chewing function to the equivalent of someone with natural teeth. If you have questions or want to know if you are a good candidate for implant tooth replacement therapy, please contact us. We have in-house implant placement by Dr. ZoAnna Scheinfeld and restorations by Drs. Scheinfeld and Orland.
Novy Scheinfeld DDS PC
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Atlanta (Sandy Springs), GA 30328
Thank you for all your referrals. We truly appreciate them.
Information included is not dental or medical advice. For your specific information
be sure to consult your dentist.
- Dentist East Cobb: The future of Implant Dentistry is here now. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist in Sandy Springs: Your Natural Choice in Tooth Replacement (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Buckhead: Too much information – about dental implants!! (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Sandy Springs Periodontist: Dentures Flapping in the wind? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentists Atlanta : Dental Implants (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Patient Questions About Dental Implants? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)