April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month.
Yep, it’s here again. So if you or a loved one have any of the following symptoms please take the time to see your dentist. The following signs and symptoms could indicate you have oral cancer:
- a sore in the mouth that bleeds easily or doesn’t heal
- a color change in any of the oral tissues, including gums, lips or tongue
- a lump, thickening or a small eroded area
- any pain, tenderness or numbness in the mouth, throat or lips
- possible trouble chewing, swallowing or moving your jaw or tongue
Every year in the U.S., over 40,000 people are diagnosed with oral cancer. Unfortunately, oral cancer doesn’t always present symptoms in the early stages. That’s why it’s important to get screened annually. When detected and treated early, oral cancer patients have a nearly 90% survival rate.
So please make an appointment to see your dentist if you have any of the symptoms described above. It really could save your life. We offer free screening to anyone during the month of April. We think every little bit counts and would like to give back to the community where we can. So if we can be of assistance please feel free to contact us and make an appointment.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Atlanta (Sandy Springs), GA 30328
- Dental Sandy Springs- Oral Cancer Awareness (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dental Sandy Springs – April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- April – Oral Cancer Awareness Month. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Top 4 Reasons Not to play hooky from Your Dental Cleanings (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- HPV Now the Leading Cause of Oral Cancers in the US (prnewswire.com)
 particularly if these symptoms persist for two weeks or longer