According to Dr. Oz, mercury is a powerful neurotoxin and therefore, at certain levels, can cause neurological issues, autoimmune disease, chronic illnesses and mental disorders; you should remove your amalgam fillings. The burning question is whether an unknown quantity of mercury vapor in our silver fillings at a constant exposure poses a significant health risk.
Based on current scientific data the ADA has concluded that the removal of amalgam restorations from a non-allergic patient for the alleged purpose of removing toxic substances as indicated by Dr. Oz, when such treatment is performed solely at the recommendation of the dentist, is improper and unethical. Any dentist who claims that dental treatment or diagnostic techniques performed by the dentist has the capacity to diagnose, cure or alleviate diseases, infections or other conditions without being based upon accepted scientific knowledge or research, is acting unethically.
Yet there are conflicting studies between Sweden and the United States. In Sweden, they have conducted a number of studies where people, with pre-existing neurological and health issues (Chronic Fatigue-type symptoms), had amalgams removed; 78% reported improvement in their health status. In the United States, official studies hired by the FDA and National Institutes of Health (NIH) stated that “the current data is insufficient to support an association between mercury release from amalgams and the various complaints that have been attributed to this restorative material.”
The problem is there is no direct evidence of a cause and an effect, only a correlation. So the question remains ‘to remove or not to remove’. Your dentist has an ethical duty to be honest and trustworthy and telling you to remove your amalgam fillings for health reasons violates that ethical duty. So what’s a patient to do? Unfortunately, no one is really sure.
This probably doesn’t answer your question of what to do, but it does help you understand what your dentist is supposed to do. Have your dentist examine your fillings to determine whether or not they are intact, and have a conversation about the potential health risks of keeping or removing amalgams. Discuss the options available with your provider to help make a smart decision. And if we can be of service please feel free to give us a call.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Atlanta, GA 30328
- Does Poor Oral Health Cause Alzheimer’s? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dental Anxiety? Dentist Sandy Springs (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Babes in Oy Land!! (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dark spot on my tooth? Sandy Springs Dentist (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Dental X-rays, looking under the hood! (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: We need more BIG LOSERS!! (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Your dumbed down dentist is a danger to your health (the-tap.blogspot.com)
- Are Your Silver Fillings Poisoning You? (thedcdentist.wordpress.com)