An oral surgeon or a general dentist can extract wisdom teeth. Most of the time, we perform the procedure in our Sandy Springs office. However, there are times when in our best judgement we refer out to one of our participating oral surgeons. Generally, it’s when we determine you may be at a higher risk for complications.
Patients with infections will be delayed in order to avoid other health related complications. Because there is evidence of the link between periodontal disease and heart related issues, dental surgery may cause periodontal bacteria in the mouth to enter the bloodstream resulting in infections in other parts of your body. Usually this can be cleared up by antibiotics before and after surgery.
Wisdom teeth can cause crowding or food pockets which lead to undesired gum infections. When this is the case, it is often recommended that patients between the ages 17 to 25 need the extraction procedure.
As a part of the procedure, the tooth and the surrounding tissue are numbed with a local anesthetic prior to having the extraction. Some people prefer to use nitrous oxide. In some cases, there is the use of a mild sedation, where the patient is still conscious but truly unaware of the procedure. It is even possible that you receive general anesthesia.
One of the more notable post procedure recommendations is not to use a straw to drink. The sucking through the straw may dislodge the blood clot in the socket area and delay the healing process.
If you feel you are a candidate for wisdom teeth removal, or we can be of service, please feel free to contact us for a complimentary consultation.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
ZoAnna Scheinfeld, MS, DMD
Hanna Orland, DMD
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Atlanta (Sandy Springs), GA 30328
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Dental Emergency? Physician or Dentist? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: The difference between Dental and Physician health care costs (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: A Beautiful Smile Is Precious And Priceless (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: How much do dental fillings cost? and Why? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist East Cobb: Success Rates of Dental Implants (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Why you might be better off seeing a Prosthodontist (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
 http://www.aaoms.org/wisdom_teeth.php, Wisdom Teeth, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Retrieved 2011-26-08. “This generally occurs between the ages of 17 and 25”.
 Otherwise known as “laughing gas”.