When teeth are lost, the surrounding bone immediately begins to atrophy. Implant treatment, for tooth replacement therapy, is the optimal treatment plan. Here are some important facts:
- Wearing dentures accelerates bone loss. Waiting may make treatment success of any kind doubtful.
- At the end of a five-year period, only 40% are still wearing the original partial denture made for them.
- One study showed that after 8 years, 40% of the supporting teeth that the partial hooks onto were lost through tooth decay or fracture.
- Patients with natural teeth can bite with about 200 pounds of force.
Denture wearers can bite with approximately 50 pounds of force. Those wearing dentures for 15 years or more can bite with only about 6 pounds of force, and their diet and eating habits have had to modify accordingly.
- Here’s a biggy -Denture wearers have decreased nutritional intake causing a ten year shorter life span.
- The single tooth implant success rate is above 98%, and unlike a bridge, the teeth adjacent to the implant are no more at risk than if no teeth were missing.
- Implant-supported bridges or dentures have 95% success rates over 10 years without the severe loss of supporting bone.
For bone maintenance, the health of adjacent teeth, the longevity of the restoration and patient comfort, implant therapy is the treatment of choice. If you have questions or want to know if you are a good candidate for affordable dental implants, please call our office in Sandy Springs or Chamblee.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
ZoAnna Scheinfeld, MS, DMD
Hanna Orland, DMD
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Atlanta (Sandy Springs), GA 30328
3781 Chamblee Dunwoody Road
Chamblee, GA 30341
- Dentist Sandy Springs – Older patients have special dental needs (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs – Success Rates of Dental Implants (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- The future of Implant Dentistry is here now. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs – 4 Steps to Promoting Good Oral Health (therightsmile.wordpress.com)