As a woman, you know that your health needs are unique. This, of course, includes your oral health needs. And because your needs are unique, you need to take extra care of yourself. The hormonal fluctuations throughout a woman’s life affect many tissues, including gum tissue.
These fluctuations occur when you mature and change, as you do during puberty, and menopause, not to mention other times when you have special health needs, particularly during menstruation and pregnancy.
According to the Journal of Periodontology at least 23 percent of women between the ages 30 to 54 have periodontitis. And, 44 percent of women ages 55 to 90 who still have their teeth have periodontitis. Yet many women do not realize they have it until it reaches an advanced state, which is why regular hygiene check-ups are so important.
What Should You Do?
- See us for cleaning at least twice a year – you need to monitor your oral health. And this is a part of your exams.
- Keep us informed about any medications you are taking and any changes in your health history.
- Brush and floss properly every day. Review your techniques with a dental professional.
If there any questions that you might have, please call us to discuss them.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
ZoAnna Scheinfeld, MS, DMD
Hanna Orland, DMD
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Sandy Springs, GA 30328
3781 Chamblee Dunwoody Road
Chamblee, GA 30341
- Dentist Sandy Springs: 8 Windows your overall health sees through dentistry. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist East Cobb: Top 4 Reasons Not to play hooky from Your Dental Cleanings (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Dunwoody: How Often Should I See the Dentist? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Roswell: Brush and Floss if you want to keep ’em. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Healthy smile, healthy you! (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
 January 1999 issue of the Journal of Periodontology
 Periodontitis is an advanced state of periodontal disease in which there is active destruction of the periodontal supporting tissues.