Over the past decade there has been a dramatic appearance of ‘cosmetic dentists’ to the degree that almost every dentist is now a cosmetic dentist. Why? Because there is no such thing as a cosmetic dentist and therefore it is unregulated. Because the term ‘cosmetic’ is unregulated there is no shortage of dentists pressing the envelope of ethics. So how do choose the right dentist?
- Make sure your ‘cosmetic’ dentist is accredited by the American Dental Association and not just a member. This would be a prosthodontic trained dentist, which is a 3 year post-doctoral dental degree specializing in aesthetic and functional dentistry.
- Don’t be fooled by all of the organizations that provide unaccredited certifications. The only accredited specialties are those approved by the American Dental Association and cosmetic dentistry is not an approved credential.
- Select a prosthodontist who performs cosmetic dentistry every day. Creating the right smile is more of an art than a science.
- Look for real reviews and a history of longevity within the field of prosthodontics.
- Request a consult and ask to see before and after results.
- Finally, trust your instincts.
A prosthodontist will have a significant amount of experience in complex cases. According to Forbes Magazine the prosthodontist is the rarest dental specialty in the United States, making up less than 2% of the dentists.
So for the right smile make sure you have the right cosmetic dentist, a prosthodontist.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS, PC
ZoAnna Bock, MS, DMD
Hanna Orland, DMD
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Sandy Springs, GA 30328
3781 Chamblee Dunwoody Road
Chamblee, GA 30341
- Prosthodontic Dentist: Atlanta: Modern dentistry (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Buckhead: Need a Cosmetic Dentist? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Buckhead Dentist : A Prosthodontist – your ADA cosmetic dentist. (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Buckhead: Teeth Whitening (therightsmile.wordpress.com)