Some research suggests that women with osteoporosis who take estrogen supplements might be able to slow the progression of periodontal disease. Although researchers do not yet understand the relationship between osteoporosis and periodontal disease, it is thought that osteoporosis, or a loss of bone common in older women, can increase the risk of bone and tooth loss. This is because a loss in bone density in the jaw creates a foundation for teeth that is no longer as firm. Teeth might be able to loosen or decay and be lost more easily.
Be sure and let your dentist know you are on estrogen supplements. If we can provide you with an examination of your oral health or answer any of your questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office.
Novy Scheinfeld, DDS PC
290 Carpenter Drive, 200A
Atlanta (Sandy Springs), GA 30328
Dr. Scheinfeld is an Emory Trained Prosthodontist serving Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Buckhead, East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Dunwoody, Marietta and Vinings.
- Sandy Springs Dentist: Your Smile Is Priceless (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dentist Sandy Springs: Women and Your Oral Health (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Top Sandy Springs Prosthodontist – Novy Scheinfeld, DDS (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dunwoody Dentist: Considering Dental Implants? (therightsmile.wordpress.com)
- Dunwoody Dentist: New Directions in Oral Health Care (therightsmile.wordpress.com)